First and foremost - please remember this phone number as it is the national Telephone support service for Gambling Help Online and provides a 24 hour 7 day a week confidential phone service that is completely free. Professionals will hear your story and provide you with information or referring services who can help you get started on the road to recovery. (click the image to be taken to their home page at GamblingHelpline.org.au
Before I provide you with the most recent links to support services across Australia allow me to share with you some of the harsh but true statistics around gambling in this country. A country that has taken to pokies like a duck to water... Only problem is that unlike water, pokies are neither transparent nor life giving.
Is Gambling a problem for you or someone close to you? Here is a complete list of the best services, resources and help available to problem gamblers and their family located in Australia.
- The Australian Government has provided this Resource Kit for Family and Friends of someone affected by problem gambling.It provides support and information on where and how to seek help, what to look out for and ways to protect themselves and their families. If you are concerned about the gambling habits of a loved one and want to hear first-hand experiences of this difficult journey, then follow the link and read on: http://www.problemgambling.gov.au/resources/
Gambling Help New South Wales
- Gambling Help Online provides a 24 hour 7 days a week Counselling, Information and Support service to problem Gamblers.
- What is great about GHO is they provide a Postcode box for you to FIND HELP NEAR YOU because (and I quote) "There is free face-to-face counselling in your area available for anyone affected by gambling problems" - and this is AUSTRALIA WIDE btw
Give them a call and take the first steps to beating this disease TODAY! --> http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/
Gambling Help Queensland
Queensland Gambling Help is provided via two support systems, the Gambling Helpline and the Gambling Help counselling service.
The Gambling Helpline (1800 858 858) is a free, confidential telephone help service which operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Gambling Helpline
offers immediate information and assistance over the phone, crisis support and referral to your closest Gambling Help
service. These services are available for anyone affected by problem gambling, be it yourself, a partner, family member or friend. Calls to the Helpline are free from landlines, and won't be listed on your phone bill (though may be listed on mobile phone bills).
For Gambling Help services in Queensland see this Queensland Government Support & Resource Page
Gambling Help Victoria
Responsible Gambling Foundation have provided one of the most resourceful and easy to navigate websites for anyone and everyone directly (or indirectly) affected by problem gambling. There is also a specific area for children affected by gambling - a sign that this social issue is getting worse before it gets better :(
You Can visit the website here --> http://www.responsiblegambling.vic.gov.au/
Gambling Help South Australia
Problem Gambling SA is a government initiative and part of the national support service that exists under the 1800 858 858 Helpline support number
Visit them by following the link --> http://www.problemgambling.sa.gov.au/
or check out their Resources page
for further reading and support
Gambling Help Western Australia
Gambling Help WA is a free service for people with gambling problems, their partners and families. It offers a supportive environment in which to talk about the impact that gambling has on their lives as well as the opportunity to learn new ways to manage behaviour. The services provided by Gambling Help WA include;
- Professional, confidential face-to-face counselling for people who have an issue with gambling
- Counselling for the family and friends of people with a gambling issue
- Financial counselling to help with gambling-related financial problems
- Community education and assistance to reduce the negative effects of gambling
Contact them directly on 1800 858 858 or visit them via the Gambling Help Online site here --> http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/accessing-support/find-support-in-your-state/western-australia/
Looking for more Gambling Help Resources in WA? Visit Centre Care's resource page here --> http://www.centrecare.com.au/services/metropolitan-services-metro/gambling-help/
Gambling Help Darwin
Amity.org provide a range of community services to residents of Darwin and Gambling is definitely high on their priority list, providing an incredible range of resources and services across the greater majority of the Northern Territory. Visit their Available Help page for a range of services and take the first steps to beating the pokies today!! Visit Amity's available help page here -->
http://www.amity.org.au/our-services/gambling-services/gambling-other-info/gambling-available-help/ Problem Gambling Financial Counselling
Anglicare-NT offer a free and confidential specialised financial counselling service for clients experiencing financial difficulty as a result of problem gambling. --> http://www.anglicare-nt.org.au/service/problem-gambling-financial-counselling/